With rich chocolate and coffee notes and smoky undertones, Steelpan Island Stout is a perfect partner to hearty BBQ burgers or roasted meat, so you shouldn’t be surprised to know it also makes an amazing BBQ sauce.
This rich sauce is bursting with roasted chocolate and espresso notes, which balance the acidity of the tomato sauce, and enhance the flavour of dried chilis. This Steelpan Stout BBQ Sauce is perfect for brisket, burgers, beef ribs or pulled pork.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder (or mined dried chilis, Ancho and Guajillo suggested)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 12 ounce Steelpan Island Stout
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 shot espresso (or 1 teaspoon instant coffee)
- In a medium-sized pan add olive oil, minced onion and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the Dried Chili and Cocoa Powder and stir for about 30 seconds, to toast the spices.
- Add the molasses and stir another 15 seconds.
- Add beer, deglazing pan, and scraping fond off the bottom of pan
- Add malt vinegar and tomato sauce, keeping the heat to medium. Stir regularly to avoid burning the bottom. Cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Once thickened, add espresso and transfer a blender and puree for about 1 minute or until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a pint-size jar and keep refrigerated.